Having a fleet of trucks is essential for many businesses, but keeping them operating at their peak is just as important. Knowing when your truck fleet needs repair can help you avoid unnecessary downtime, costly repairs, and potential safety hazards. Here are some signs that it’s time to take your fleet in for a check-up:
1. Unusual Sounds – If you hear any strange noises coming from your trucks, like squealing belts, grinding gears, or knocking engines, these could be signs of imminent mechanical failure. Have an experienced mechanic inspect the entire vehicle to determine what is causing the noise and how best to fix it.
2. Uneven Tire Wear – Uneven tire wear suggests that one or more of your tires are out of alignment or have worn-out suspension components. Get them checked and replaced if necessary, as this can cause severely reduced performance and fuel efficiency in the long run.
3. Leaks – Any leaking fluids could indicate a serious problem with your truck’s engine or transmission system, so don’t wait until there’s a major issue before taking it into the shop. If you need help determining where the leak originates, have a professional inspect the entire truck to determine its source and ensure it’s fixed correctly.
4. Dashboard Lights – An illuminated dashboard light can be anything from warning about low cabin air pressure to alerting of an imminent engine failure, so make sure you know what each one means before taking action (most will be labeled). Take your truck in for inspection immediately if any lights come on unexpectedly, as this could be an indication of something more serious than just a faulty bulb.
5. Poor Performance – If your truck isn’t performing as it used to—such as not accelerating quickly enough or having difficulty climbing hills—it may need some adjusting or repairing to improve its performance once again. The issue may be caused by something simple like clogged fuel injectors needing cleaning. However, it could also indicate more severe engine problems like low compression levels in cylinders or lousy spark plugs requiring expert attention to diagnose and resolve them effectively and appropriately.
6. Excessive Vibration – Excessive vibration could indicate something wrong with the steering components or suspension system, both of which need attention right away in order to maintain proper control over your vehicle while driving down the road or highway at high speeds. Have a qualified mechanic take care of this type of issue as soon as possible before further damage occurs due to the lack of maintenance attention paid over time.
7. Visible Damage – Pay attention to any visible signs of damage on your trucks, such as rust on exterior panels or broken headlights or taillights which could affect visibility at night for drivers and other motorists alike. These damages can worsen over time if left unnoticed for too long, leading to more significant problems. Try to address these issues immediately with any necessary repairs or replacements.
By monitoring these signs regularly and addressing issues promptly, businesses can ensure their truck fleets remain in good condition throughout their lifetime without incurring costly repair bills later down the line due to negligence now!
Our Preventative Truck Maintenance Can Help
Managing your fleet is a big job. But it doesn’t have to be complicated. Ferguson Truck Center provides preventative commercial truck maintenance to fit your needs. We help make your big job easy, whether managed by mileage or calendar.
Service to suit your needs
Ferguson Truck Center has a variety of standard PM (preventative maintenance) programs to help you keep your fleet running smoothly. We can also work with standardized company plans to keep you in compliance with corporate mandates.
Service you can trust
Fleet managers and business owners depend on Ferguson Truck Center for on-time commercial truck service without surprises. Whether it’s periodic maintenance, paint, body, or even emergency wrecker service, we’ve worked hard to earn our customers’ trust since 1988.
We’re always ready
Ferguson Truck Center provides 24-hour manager-dispatched emergency road service for our fleet customers. We also offer monthly billing with approved credit and honor most credit cards, checks, and com checks. Because Ferguson Truck Center gets the work done effectively and efficiently, we enjoy longstanding business relationships with many high-profile businesses in Houston—in addition to many, many other less familiar firms.